Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Choices

Is everything a matter of choice? Is there no difference between spending money on yourself and spending money to save someone's life? Is every individual entitled to the pursuit of his or her own happiness regardless of the consequences? Are some happinesses more lasting and meaningful than others?

Yes, I think that everything is a matter of choice. No matter what you are doing, you always have choices of what to do. There are the small choices that we make without even thinking like weather or not i should wear this shirt today, and there are bigger choices like weather you should tell your friend somthing that someone else told you to keep a secret. Sometimes making those choices is easy, and other times it is really hard to decide what to do.

I think that there is deffinately a difference between spending money on yourself and spending money to save someone elses life. What you want to spend your money on is your choice, and most people do choose to spend their money on themselves and buy cool new clothes, or the bigger and better tv. I think that it takes a lot more thought to choose to spend your money to help someone else. Everybody wants new, cool gadgets, but it takes a lot more effort for you to give up something you want to help someone else. In some ways, I think that this makes you a better person because you are able to see the bigger picture instead of thinking about your self all the time, but you still have to make sure you are taking care of yourself too.

This kind of has to do with weather or not some kinds of happiness are more lasting and meaningful than others. I think that when you buy something for yourself, innitially you are happy, but sooner or later, the happiness wears off. It doesn't last as long, or mean as much as something else could, like doing something with your family and friends. Or another thing that makes me happy is when i spend time doing community serivce, or practicing tennis, pretty much anything that requires hard work. It feels like I've actually acomplished something, and that really makes me feel good about myself and what I'm doing.

I think that every individual is entitled to the pursuit of his or her own happiness. After all it even says in our constitution that everyone is entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I mean what is the point of living, if you aren't enjoying your life? I think that in order for your life to mean something, you have to be doing what makes you happy. Otherwise, nothing would feel right or complete. There would always be something more out there that you felt was missing and wanted. In the end, I think that it is your choice of weather or not you want to pursue happiness or not, and most people will because who doesn't want to be happy? I think that everyone is entitled to pursue happiness as long as you're willing to deal with the consequences.

No comments: